Tuesday, December 11, 2012

We Could Pray for You


In his classic book on prayer, the Quaker, Douglas Steere has an interesting title to one section in the book - He asks "What Do We Do When We Pray?"  His answer is essentially this - In prayer it is a matter of being present where we are.  Just be there!  

Good friend, Kalo Lockerby, from Red Wing, Minnesota sent the following, which is a good example of just being there:

I've been reading your book a little at a time and I have a little thing to share...

I was experiencing a grown up sized EAR INFECTION (ugh). I wanted to go to school on Thursday where I have a little reading group of 6 kids. They had been discussing empathy before I entered the classroom.

So after our story, I asked if they had 'empathy' with me for my sore ear. One of them said "We could pray for you!" and ALL 6 folded their hands and bowed their heads - with little smiles on their angelic faces, and they made my day.

My ear is still sore, but that is nothing compared to the joy they gave me doing that - in the PUBLIC SCHOOL. Where, usually, God is not mentioned.  They asked me if I prayed, so I was able to tell them I did - many times throughout the day without bowing my head or folding my hands - just keeping a conversation going with God.  And praying especially for them.

It was short, sweet, and very neat for this little old teacher's aide.  They  were a culturally diverse group - black, native American, Mong, and Caucasian. It was like a song to my heart - Jesus loves the little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment