Saturday, June 15, 2013

Appreciating a Garden



There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling.  ~Mirabel Osler

These days I spend a lot of time in the garden.... not only mine, but the community garden of  which I am a member.  It's called Jackson's Garden here in Sheridan Montana where I get my hands in the dirt and watch the ever amazing transformation as seeds become beautiful flowers or delicious and healthy food during the summer months.  




I like growing things, but have never mastered all there is to know about it.  Nor do I aspire to.  

Right now we need to transplant the last seedlings from the green house and weed the plants that are already growing.  This week I was doing a lot of weeding.   I found this quote to be true:
"When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.  If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant."  ~Author Unknown.   

Not so true but it brings on a chuckle. There are many poems, sentimental quotes, and sayings about the esthetic and spiritual nature of gardening.  I rather prefer the humorous ones. 

I like the tranquility of the garden in the morning hours.  I don't do any thinking about the problems of the world as I concentrate on the task at hand - tilling, planting, weeding, harvesting. In the coolness of the day I listen to the water rushing down Mill Creek about a hundred yards below. I am aware of the birds singing and one of my co-workers across the way quietly tending to a patch of flowers.  I like the solitude and quiet -  it is a kind of prayer of gratitude.


And another thing about this community garden - all of us are volunteers and do just what we can and want to do - guilt free.  This is pretty conflict free group - which is commendable, given the fact that some do lots more work than others. When I return from a trip I have always been welcomed back, even though the others have been putting in many hours in my absence.  There is a parable somewhere in the Gospels that speaks to this principle, I think.

It is a diverse group of men, women and kids - older and younger, master gardeners and rank armatures, Christians and "nones" - (not affiliated), extraverts and introverts, conservatives and liberals - though we never have gotten into political or religious discussions.  

At the end of the day my back reminds me of what happens when I spend a lot of time bent over the plants I am tending.   As another unknown author said, "Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it." 

Here is a truth about gardening: There is no gardening without humility.  I have never become an expert at it and it doesn't matter. I have many years of experience but have never gained an expertise in plants and soil - though I am glad some have acquired that knowledge and skill.   

 What I appreciate about the garden is that nature comes to life each spring and is ready to surprise us with lavish gifts of life, beauty, and peacefulness - and this prompts me to want to help care for and love this God-given wonder of creation.   

Here is Judy and her sisters in the garden - left to right: Judy, Jackie, Romell, Paula.

Question for reflection:

What is an activity you do that is good for your body, gives you peace of mind, and turns you toward the Divine Presence?

2 comments:


  1. Brynhild Rowberg is one of my oldest living relatives now - she wanted to leave a comment so sent this to me via email:

    For the first time in many years I have no garden at all, not even a few plants of basil in someone elses plot. The slight stroke I had on April 24 makes it somewhat difficult to get around, much less lean over and weed. I remain a member of the Garden Club and will volunteer to take tickets at our annual tour. Alas, because I enjoyed gardening so much.
    Brynie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely comments about gardening Jerry! I feel the same peace in the garden. It also helps me remember that nothing is certain; I think you have to love the task of gardening since all the effort may yield nothing due to forces beyond our control - weather, animals - can wipe out our efforts in minutes.

    Another activity that is good for body, peace of mind and reminds me of a divine presence is hiking. I hike nearly daily if only for 20 minutes. I can make it to the top of the hill, see mountains, wildflowers and feel small and peaceful in this big world.

    ReplyDelete