Thursday, September 26, 2013

At 75: Behind but Proceeding On!



The quote below, from Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German Lutheran theologian, was in a devotional I read this morning.  I suppose I was about 6 or 7 years old when he wrote this from the Nazi prison where he would later be executed.  

"God is being increasingly edged out of the world now that it has come of age.           Knowledge and life are thought to be perfectly possible without God." Letters and Papers from Prison.

Now, at the age of 75 years, I am increasingly aware that I am living in a world bursting with new knowledge, technology and discoveries.  I am way behind and getting more behind every day.  

Scientific knowledge and technological research is answering a lot about the "what" questions.  But I spend lots of time these days reflecting on the "why" questions that have to do with meaning, purpose and relevance.  I grew up in another era, one in which I was taught that life really is not possible without God.  Somehow life experiences and new knowledge has not changed that for me.

Interesting term that Bonhoeffer used back then, in the midst of a world that seemed to have gone mad...   "a world come of age?"   The quote seems even more true today.  Much of the world really seems to think we have come of age and God is irrelevant - especially post-modern Europe and USA.

I woke up this morning to a "Happy Birthday" greeting and kiss from Judy.  

Judy is a good cook and prepared foods from many places we have lived - Vietnam, Peru, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Hawaii and Arkansas - and we shared in the joy of conversation, laughter, wine and delicious food with some of our good friends.

It was a good day. I am thankful  to have been so blessed with health and a good life, wife, friends and family, and meaningful things to do for so many years. 

I don't have all the answers but I plan to keep on wondering - and laughing, singing, and enjoying good conversation.

With friends Steve and Steve - local ranchers

No comments:

Post a Comment