Friday, September 20, 2013

Songs that bring back memories


Last Sunday afternoon I sang some songs at an old fashioned ice cream social in our village - ballads, folk songs and even a love song, "The Rose".  Some said "that was one of my favorite songs, it brings tears to my eyes."  

Ever notice how a tune will bring back memories and you can almost feel the time and place you used to hear it?  Whenever I hear Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony I am brought back to a particular spring time in Decorah, Iowa and memories of one of my best friends, Doug Peterson.  

Bob Dylan and Joan Baez bring back the feel of the '60s for me.  On Sunday I sang Guantanamera in Spanish, and even though no one knew the Spanish words, many of those present chimed in on the refrain...  Those who lived through the 60s remember that one.

These days the Tom Paxton 1960s song "That was the last thing on my mind".. is going over and over in my head and I am memorizing and singing the words.  It's about leaving "without a word of farewell".  It has brought tears to my eyes just singing it.  

When I sing in public I usually get stage fright but recently I have gotten some others to back me up.  Getting 'back up' helps when singing as it does in a lot of other ways in life.  I am thankful for many people in my life who have backed me up!!

 Singing can be a form of prayer, whether alone or with others.  Mostly I just sit and strum my guitar and sing to myself...  

Me getting backed up

Me backing up

No comments:

Post a Comment