Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Prompts from Old Songs and Psalms During the Pandemic - Part Two

 The Church’s One Foundation is Jesus Christ the Lord


By late March many churches are closed!  Correction - the buildings are closed to in-person worship. This is something I have never experienced in my whole life.  We are assured that the Church is more than the building, more than worshipping together on Sunday morning.  But we quickly miss the community - virtual is a poor substitute for in-person worship. And, unheard of - no singing!


Pastors scramble to learn how to lead worship services on-line via face book and videos.  Zoom becomes the mode of communication for churches as well as for a myriad of other purposes.  Most churches have a steep learning curve to figure this out, and I hear that Pastors are exhausted trying to keep up with this new form of ministry. The foundation is solid, but I wonder if the walls will in some sense crumble and the church will come out of this in a different form.  A pastor once told me, the Church is eternal because Christ is eternal.  


I had been asked to give a talk at one of the midweek Lenten services on the theme of my faith walk.  I was prepared for this but now it has been called off.  I was going to talk about my sense of call years ago when Judy and I answered several urgent requests to respond to disasters in Peru and Nicaragua.  


I wonder what I am called to now in this urgent situation - sitting at home.  Maybe a call to kindness, charitable thoughts, donations and prayer.  I don’t feel very significant.  We are keeping in touch with family and friends by phone, emails and zoom.  Called? Making calls….  Wondering.  


I am amazed at how virtual choirs are organized and sing with great harmony and quality. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b22S3GLaxck


No comments:

Post a Comment