Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Prompts from Old Songs and Psalms during the Pandemic: #9

                                                           Come let us sing joyfully…  Ps 95

Sing a New Song to the Lord. Ps 98


Some of my favorite Psalms encourage us to sing joyfully; definitely one of the joys of my life.  Almost daily I strum my guitar and sing “old songs”..  Songs like “A Wayfaring Stranger”, and “Keep on the Sunny Side” , or popular songs from the 60s, hymns and chants. I long for the day when we can sing the great hymns of the church in the sanctuary accompanied by a full throated pipe organ.  


We went to in-person worship for the first time in a year.  It was a very worshipful Lenten service - based on the evening compline.  I sang the simple liturgy along with the worship leaders.  Afterwards Pastor Wayne complimented me on my singing but nicely said we are not yet allowed to sing in church because of Covid 19 precautions. I said, yikes, don’t turn me over to the pandemic police!  We laughed together - but I did feel a bit foolish.  


I continue to learn some of the old songs by heart as well as listen to new songs. It is hard to beat the joyful song by  Marty Haugen, Sing Oh God of Earth and Skies. I even try to strum and sing this one by myself at home alone, but some songs just have to be sung in the community. Marty, a cousin, about three removed, grew up in Wanamingo, Minnesota, only about 8 miles from where I grew up. He has become somewhat of a legend in both the Catholic and Lutheran churches for his easy to sing along with compositions.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTYOglt9ab0


No comments:

Post a Comment